Got a wedding, festival, Xmas function, community fun or large social event coming up? Laughter sessions aren’t just for the office. Who doesn’t like a good laugh:
- Builds trust and helps them engage with each other.
- Creates positive affect – that’s a fancy term for “makes people feel good”.
- Stimulates the mind and gets the creative juices flowing.
- Relieves stress and helps you cope with daily pressures.
- Produces endorphins, which reduce pain and induce pleasure.
- Reduces blood pressure.
- Strengthens the immune system and heals the body.
- Oxygenates the blood and gives your respiratory system a tremendous workout.
- Weight loss. It’s true! 10 minutes of laughter burns about 45 calories.
In this age of high-technology, scientific miracles and medical breakthroughs, it might just be that something as simple as laughter is the best medicine, after all. For a long time, medical doctors have known that happy patients generally respond more favourable to treatment and recover faster than cheerless and complaining ones.
– Laurence Peter and Bill Dana: The Laughter Prescription – How to Achieve Health, Happiness and Peace of Mind Through Humour